Friday, September 14

She glows on the inside

So, we had a moment last night. It's one of those moments where you kind of lose a little faith in your kid, and realize that maybe husband knows better sometimes. I can now, officially, say that I have the child that bites into a glow stick. Honestly. She did it.
Sydney and I attended a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese last night. In the goody bag was, of course, the glow stick. We got home, and I cracked it so that it would glow for her. As she walked towards bed, Brian made a grab for the glow stick, but I said no, that she could just let it lay with her as her nightlight. He shrugged his shoulders and left the room. I then left the room.
In the kitchen, about four minutes later, in walks my child, crying, with the glow stick wrapped in a couple tissues, with glow material on the tissues, on her shirt and on her lip. I'm all, "What did you do? Did you bite that?" She's crying, and tells me, "Well, it was all crunchy, so I wanted to make it crunch more." I'm like, "So you bit it?!?!"
And then the crying starts in earnest, my panicking and trying to establish exactly how much glow material she has ingested begins, and Brian's attempts to calm the situation and settle the child engage.
So, she only got enough stuff in her mouth to freak her out and get a bad taste on her tongue (glow stuff is non-toxic, so all is well); there were a number of glowing spots on her pajamas and bed linens (change of pajamas and stripping of bed); and therefore, she slept with me last night (which was fine, because then I could listen to her breathing and be sure she wasn't having any troubles due to the infinitesimal amount of non-toxic glowing stuff she took in).
So, there I sat last night, watching a movie, being all kinds of disappointed in my baby because I had overridden Brian's instinct to remove the glow stick from the situation, and it turned out badly. Of course, she'll never do that again (as we discussed this morning). But also, it made me look twice at the little super-bouncy ball that she got in the goody bag, which I told her she had to keep up because it is the perfect size for Oliver or Daisy to choke to death on, and instead of trust her with it, I decided to just throw it away. Because really, why tempt fate, when my instincts are screaming to not trust her with it.

No comments: