Sunday, October 31

Mommy dinosaur seeks baby dinosaur

Sometimes I am reminded that a collaboration between Brian and I really can make for something wonderful. Sydney is, of course, my first example of a perfect collaboration, but so was tonight's trick-or-treat activities. The conversation, as we were in the car driving in a very general direction of north, went along the lines of me vaguely remembering, and spottily describing, a particular neighborhood we drove through months ago, and Brian remembering the correct street and the proper left turn to make. And there, in that random neighborhood, we found two streets full of decorated houses, people with candy, kids running and laughing, and moms and dads leading and following. It was beautiful.
Our particular neighborhood is an older one. Sydney is, by far, the youngest, if not the only, child on the street. They do not cater to trick-or-treaters here. It's like the grandparents' street where no one takes their kid because all the houses are dark specifically to dissuade children from ringing doorbells. And this is the neighborhood where we are raising an enthusiastic, engaging and excited toddler. Sometimes, we're dumb. But mostly, it's okay. Except on Halloween.
So, I checked around with our friends, and everyone had other plans, so it became Brian and I on the hunt for someplace to take our dinosaur to ask for candy. This is where the collaboration I mentioned really came together.
Sydney had a blast going from house to house, explaining to us how trick-or-treating works, forgetting to say thank you until we reminded her, and exclaiming, "Let's see what kind of candy they have for me!" I'm embarrassed to say that this was Sydney's first officially real, out-and-about trick-or-treat experience. But I'm proud to say that we made it a good one.

No comments: