Thursday, October 28

ARGH! My back!!

Okay. It's officially official. I am becoming an old woman ... not in spirit, by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely by body. My cold last week knocked me on my ass like no cold has in a very long time, which was the first sign.
Oh, and how youthful I was, frolicking and jumping around in the bounce house at Sydney's birthday party last weekend. How carefree I was as I leaped from one spot to another. How fearlessly I bounced from feet to butt and back to my feet. How ridiculously I peer pressured everyone else into jumping in the bounce house, as if my own joy would not come back to haunt me. I had such fun!
And yet, before the afternoon sun (or not sun, but fog-filtered sunlight) had grown dark, my back was already beginning to twinge. In fact, before the darkness began descending in earnest, I was hobbling around the house, using furniture to bear my weight as I lurched from step to step. The pain was acute, and so not cute, in my lower back. The perfect storm of a location: about a five-inch high, 12-inch wide swath of spasm right above my waistline.
It was incredibly unpleasant, and has made my last four days incredibly unpleasant as well. I'm not hobbling around as much anymore, and every day is getting better. In fact, the last two days have been medication-free, which is good and bad. I probably should still be taking plenty of Advil, but every time I think about it, I'm sitting, and the last thing I want to do is go through the contortions of getting up once I'm down. Like right now, I've got a twinge (this particular back issue does not like my living room sofa) but I don't want to get up.
Tomorrow should be a much better day.
Still though, this pain has made me feel incredibly geriatric in my body. And makes me wonder what other fantastically fun, but youthful, things I will no longer be able to do. But I think I know why I got hurt: not enough knee bending when I landed in the bounce house. Hmm .... A hypothesis to test. ... At next year's party. I should have forgotten this pain by then!

No comments: