Wednesday, June 2

Someone get RKO on the phone about this

One of my favorite movies ever is called Sinbad the Sailor (1947). It stars Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., as Sinbad, and Maureen O'Hara, as Shireen. Anthony Quinn is in it, too. It is incredibly campy, and really fantastic. I have it on VHS (for which there is nothing to play it on). For reasons beyond my understanding, there is no urgency to have the movie released on DVD. When that day arrives, I shall be a very happy girl. Until then, this month's avatar is an homage to Sinbad the Sailor.

I wish I could list all the randomly bizarre things that happened to me today. Some were actually weird occurrences, some were just my head messing with me, and some were, well, random. 1.) I got teary-eyed watching Charlotte's Web at the movies with Sydney this morning. 2.) I am raising my daughter to be almost exactly like me: she refused to share her popcorn. 3.) I have no idea where Sydney's left-over macaroni and cheese from lunch is, and oh well, I don't really care. It may still be in the car. 4.) It got so hot in the car this afternoon that the adhesive holding my rearview mirror to my windshield melted, and the mirror fell to the dashboard. This is not a quick fix. 5.) I burned my fingers picking up a really, really hot rearview mirror off my dashboard. 6.) If the stronger nursery-approved insecticide I bought today doesn't kill these frickin' fungus gnats, I'm going to have to toss all my houseplants. This will make me cry. And then I may go with Stephanie's philosophy of only having one plant in the house. 7.) I used the American Express complimentary credit score check online, and am pleased to say that, for a non-working chick with a crazy AmEx bill, I have a smokingly good score. 8.) Oliver continues to poop on the decor rock surrounding the grassy knoll, rather then on the grass itself. This is irritating me. 9.) When I slipped my flip flops back on under the dinner table tonight, it took me a good 30 minutes of sitting there before I realized that the shoes felt really weird because they were on the wrong feet. 10.) When I turned on the car after dinner, the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" light lit up on the dash. I said, "What is that?" Katy said, "It's the car telling you that the rearview mirror is missing." I said, "No way! Really?" Really, no. I love that I fell for this joke. The light though means what it is; it indicates that something is malfunctioning. Is there a vaguer warning ever? At this point, my day is ridiculously laughable. 11.) The stoplight outside the Starbucks never, ever, ever turned green. We sat there for four entire light cycles, and our left-turn green never showed. I made a wild right turn, flipped a bitch and waited for the red lights that, ironically for my day, never came up behind me. 12.) I shared with my Facebook family the fact that, where I live, it's hot enough to melt the mirror adhesive off a windshield. From that, I got a bunch of reports on everyone else's weather, which I didn't really care about, because their weather was nicer and cooler than mine, and they were whining about it.

No comments: