Wednesday, June 9

Oil, oil and more oil. Damn.

I just saw an ad for Dr. Pepper. I don't like Dr. Pepper.
I also saw an ad for BP. I don't like BP, either. The ad is designed to bolster the reputation of the company. What's interesting is that these public relations ads are not running in the Gulf states, where the people are most affected by the oil spill. Does BP really, really think that we, as Americans, are that shallow? That, since we (in, say, Arizona, for an example) who are not actually in the Gulf states, would be swayed by an ad into thinking that BP is actually not that bad?
That the company is doing its best for the spill can certainly be debated. (Special mention goes to the BP CEO, who wants to "get my life back," because he's been in the Gulf for so long, theoretically taking care of this.) My concern is over the company's need to "capture" the oil, more than stop the flow entirely. I feel like their priority is to stop losing the oil, more than stopping it entirely. I can't help but think that they're all, "At least it's not happening in our backyard. Let's figure out how to fix this without losing the well itself." Screw the well, BP. Stop the oil.
I'm beyond pissy about this. I hate seeing the oil covering the water, the beaches and the wildlife. I hate that this has happened. I hate finding out that BP allegedly forced cost- and time-cutting measures, and that those may be behind the downfall of the Deepwater Horizon rig. My god, why is oil and money so much more important than our natural resources and the planet's health? I can't imagine that there weren't little fixes that would have cost pennies or dollars at the time, that couldn't have prevented this tragedy from happening. Damn the corporate man and their cost-cutting ideas. Suits not listening to the guys on the rigs is what I think went wrong here.
I just feel so angry, and helpless. I HATE seeing those pictures of the turtles, pelicans and other animals covered in oil. It's infuriating!

No comments: