Monday, November 16

Autumn can be so pretty

I remember back when one's television life was dealt with via VCR (that's Video Cassette Recorder, for all you whippersnappers). Whenever we would go on vacation, I would spend a good 30 minutes or so setting up my VCR to record all my favorite shows. I'd have to scroll through the days, the dates, the times and the length of the shows, ensuring that each show was recorded properly. And back then, I certainly had to be sure to have the days right, because there was no show menu to refer to when setting it up. And then, of course, sometimes I'd have to choose between a show or two because each video tape could only record six or eight hours of television. And definitely, the VCR could only record one show at a time: no double recordings for that little machine. You know that it wouldn't always work exactly how I wanted all the time, too. Inevitably, something would get timed wrong, or I'd have the day wrong, or something equally irritating and my fault.
You won't believe what brought this into my brain.
I saw a commercial with Megan Mullally, the actress who played Karen in Will & Grace, on TV tonight. I thought about the first time I saw her, in the first episode of Will & Grace, and how I loved that show. And then I thought about how I watched that episode on a video tape because I was gone the night it premiered. And then I thought about what a production is was to tape a television show all those years ago ... before the wonderfulness that is DVR.

My Dancing with the Stars voting (5 votes allowed):
Kelly Osbourne ~ 2 votes. I'd love to see her in the finals next week, and I think she deserves to be there. She's just so cute!
Mya ~ 1 vote. She's a fantastic dancer, and I think she will end up taking this competition, but still, I just don't love her. She's not pulling the devotion from me like Kelly Osbourne does. I'm bothered, because I like her story, but I'm not attached. Still, I think she'll be one of the final two.
Joanna Krupa ~ 1 vote. She's beautiful, and kind of blank. I hate it when I feel apathetic towards a competitor on this show, but it's not unprecedented.
Donny Osmond ~ 1 vote. He did so great on all of his dances, regardless of the first disaster. I can see his crazy, little fan base giving him the trophy at the end of next week.
Honestly, any one of these people could win it next week. I'm intrigued, but not obsessed with how this ends. My gut instinct tells me that Kelly gets booted tomorrow, or early next week. We'll see tomorrow night!!

No comments: