Sunday, November 29

All the yummy you can eat

It's sad to me that there is only a select few people in my life who can appreciate the wonderfulness of my lunch today. Picture it: Pancho's, a delicious, yet kinda sketchy, but family-friendly Mexican buffet restaurant in the suburban Phoenix city of Mesa.
I was a freshman in college the first time I went there. I had been "kidnapped" by my boyfriend, Brian, and our friends/random dorm roommates, Herb and Julian, was thrown into the back seat of my car, and driven to this place to do little more than watch three college boys load up on an all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet. Little did I know when we drove up to the restaurant, that I was about to eat some of the best cheap Mexican food in town. And oh my goodness, if you should have seen Mom, Grandma and Auntie Donna's faces the first time I took them there! The restaurant itself does its food no favors by being a bit dark and dinghy.
Anyway, Brian, Sydney and I had an errand in Mesa this morning, and on driving through town, we passed Pancho's' "new" location (I have no idea how long they've been there, but since it's a different location since the last time I'd been there ... who knows how long ago ... it's new to me). Upon finishing our errand, I noticed that the time had struck noon, and that I could therefore make Brian stop for lunch somewhere.
Pancho's looked nice outside and inside, was roomier than the last location, and lighter and cleaner. I am so excited to tell you that the food itself was just as good as it was when we were in college! I ate a lot. So did Brian. Rice, chimichangas, enchiladas, tamales, taquitos, flautas, tacos, and the dessert, sopapillas, gave us big tummies, but also satisfied ones. My Auntie Donna would have loved to have been with us today, and that breaks my heart. And Mom has put Pancho's back on her list of restaurants to visit when next she comes out for a visit.
Best part: still cheap. A hundred years ago, the buffet was five dollars and change. Brian and I had a bet on how much the buffet would be today. I won: $7.50 for all the food you can eat.

No comments: