Tuesday, July 14

A very flat, and sweet, igloo


RARE SYDNEY-CENTRIC POST FOLLOWS:


So my kid and I had a day today!
She spent the day at preschool, and I went to the movies!
The picture here to the left is of her art project, where she created an igloo out of sugar cubes. The preschool attaches themes to each week, and this week focused on the South Pole (thus, the igloo). The teachers fill out activity reports on each student every day, and Sydney's teacher even called me about two hours into her day to let me know how Sydney was doing.
You want to now what she did today? They read Why is the South Pole so Cold? for Language Arts; they counted the scoops on the ice cream cone, and sequenced and stacked them for Cognitive Skills/Math; they chose or created colors to paint for Creative Art; they did the Hokey Pokey in Music/Movement; the played Pin the Tail on the Whale for Motor Skills; they checked the temperature outside with a thermometer (It's hot here, how cold is it in Antarctica?) for Science/Nature Study; they made igloos with sugar cubes and learned about igloos for Social Science; and they practiced pointing and clicking on certain objects for Computer Lab.
Honestly, I think this is all great stuff, and Sydney seemed to really enjoy it! She told me all about the activities all afternoon. The video game had robots. She got to play in the playground. "I got to play at preschool," she told me several times. It's more than encouraging that she had such a good time today.
I, of course, did my best to not freak out too much. I went to a movie, ate some popcorn, did some texting, checked e-mails and Facebook, and attempted to be a regular person without a concern in the world. I'll tell you that I still watched the movie with my phone on vibrate in my hand.

No comments: