Wednesday, July 15

Taking up a collection for a trip to Florida

Since there are only about five or so space shuttle flights left until the fleet is retired, I should really get my ass to Florida so I can see one of those liftoffs in person. You know what a cool thing that would be for me? Fantastic! I'm going to have to figure out exactly how to make that happen. A new project for Kimmie!
The space shuttle Endeavour (have I told you how much I HATE the spelling of that name?) departed from Kennedy Space Center this afternoon, about 3 p.m. Pacific time. It, and its seven-member crew, are embarking on a 16-day mission to bring a key component of the Japanese Kibo science laboratory to the International Space Station. Today's launch comes after five aborted attempts to takeoff due to both bad weather and hydrogen leaks.
They called me, of course, and invited me to come along, but you know, I've got Brian's parents coming up this weekend, and Mom next week, and the whole preschool thing, so I couldn't help them out on this trip. Maybe next time, I told them, and they were all, "Cool, Kimmie, you just let us know when we can get you in a shuttle."
On to my irritation of the day: the bits and pieces of televised Sonia Sotomayor confirmation hearings I've caught here and there. Obviously, because you all know my politics, you probably have guessed that I am all for Sotomayor's admittance into the Supreme Court. I think she'll be a fair and good justice, and yes, I believe the Court does need another woman on the bench. What's bugging me is all the senators attempting to school the judge on what it's like to be a judge. Sure, a good portion of these senators were lawyers and attorneys and all that, but how many of them have been judges? It's amazing the level of condescension that's been directed at Sotomayor. And all the power to her for keeping a straight face during a couple portions of these proceedings. Dudes, just let the hearings be over. She's going to get in, I mean, she's the most experienced judge nominated to the bench in 100 years. Why go through all this? It does nothing but waste time the senators could be using to do something for the country; and time the justices could be using to judicate (real word? You tell me).
And hell yes, allow the troops to smoke in the war zones! My goodness, they're putting themselves in harm's way every day, and some people want to deny them their smokes? Ridiculous! I'm happy that cooler heads, who are all for allowing people to smoke OUTDOORS and in STRESS SITUATIONS, have seemingly prevailed in this case.

No comments: