Thursday, July 16

Can you update your status from the moon?

There was a poll question on CNN.com today asking whether you, as the reader, think that we, as NASA, should go back to the moon. I said yes. Mainly because I'd love to see how easily it could be done "again." I'll tell you, all that conspiracy theory stuff about the moon landing being staged is really intriguing to both Brian and I. Brian will loudly question the validity of the evidence, and me, I just wonder. What an incredible rouse, if indeed it was. You did it once, do it again!
According to the poll, of which 275,590 votes were registered, 157,431 (57 percent) said yes, and 118,159 (43 percent) said no. I can see where going to the moon could be considered frivolous, since really, will we be able to set up colonies there? Or do people just want to send our trash there? But I also come back to the Tom Hanks character in Apollo 13, and his response when asked why astronauts should go back to the moon: "What if Christopher Columbus came home from the New World, and no one followed in his footsteps?"
I really would love to see a man walking on the moon, in my lifetime, and in high definition. I think that would be cool.

No comments: