Tuesday, November 4

A new era begins ... let's see what happens now

Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed. I thought this would be some tight-ass race where I would be stuck sitting in front of the television for hours upon hours, watching and waiting, and freaking out over every state's returns. Instead, it was basically an Obama landslide, and the only fun I had was in waiting to see if McCain would carry his own home state of Arizona (it was really unsure for a while). And truthfully, I am loving the fact that it was the 55 electoral votes in California that gave Obama the victory. See! My vote counted! Awesome!
I'm also totally digging the fact that the "swing states," got so caught up in their own importance that they took too much time to count their ballots and ultimately didn't matter to the winner of the election. Look at Florida, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina: They were all, "Hey, look at us, all big and important to the next president. We're going to take our time so the national spotlight is trained firmly on our wonderfulness and then we'll be the ones to decide whether it'll be McCain or Obama." [Editor's note: Add in a significant amount of high-school girl sarcasm and attitude in that quote, and you'll hear it as it is in my head.] I am so excited that, except for Florida, they're still, as I write this, firmly in the gray, yellow, white or whatever color on the big map graphic that isn't blue or red. Who needs them? This is my vindication for every time the electoral college decided on a president before California's votes were counted.
Of course, we did still spend the entire night in front of the television. We watched NBC's coverage for a few simple reasons: I can't stand Katie Couric or Charles Gibson; I totally dig Brian Williams and Tom Brokaw (a bit also because of how funny they both are whenever they visit The Daily Show); and I just feel like NBC is less flimsy with their knowledge, intelligence and pandering. But watching the national NBC news team means that I also was subjected to the local NBC news team, which I do not like at all. Among Arizona's news, I prefer ABC. But I couldn't skip back and forth, so I stuck with NBC. Except for the hour of the coverage by The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. At times very funny and very irritating, that program kept our attention and was a nice break from the serious coverage, but still, we probably would have been better served watching NBC and recording Comedy Central for later.
And hello, fantastic victory speech! I'm ready to help make change!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess now we are going to find out what 'CHANGE' he was talking about?