Sunday, September 21

A peaceful exit

Okay, well, Grandma died last night. So unreal, going from diagnosis to death in just six days, isn't it? She was comfortable at the hospice home, and they took really great care of her. And the nurses knew it would be Saturday, so we were out there that morning, and said our goodbyes. Actually, probably everyone else said their goodbyes. I just gave her a kiss on the cheek and told her to be a good girl. It's odd, you know, having constantly referred to someone as mean, kinda evil, and cold for all those years, only to really miss her when she's gone. I always thought that Grandma would live into her 90s, just like Great Grandma did. I thought we'd have at least another decade to deal with her irrational and inexplicable dislike of some people. And at least another decade of worrying about her driving; or having to wear socks in her kitchen; or wondering if I would ever get one of her handmade afghans for my baby. But even with all that, there's no doubt in my mind that wherever she is now, she's at peace, and hopefully, there's decent iced tea to drink and good pudding to eat.
You know, she was the strongest of all of us. Sure, sometimes, it's what made us wonder how on earth we came from her loins, but on a day like today, it makes me proud that it helps me keep it together, and knowing that she expects more from me than to sit around and cry. That's no help, and "whoever said life was fair."

p.s. A special thank you to Lisa for spending time on the phone with me while I drove out to Chandler; Andrea for her sweet voice mail message; Jeannine for her thoughtful e-mail; and especially to Jeff and Liz, who called me for a chat, but, more importantly, bought groceries for my mommy and hung out with her for a while today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I am sending you a hope for peace and a life full of gentle blessings. All my love, my dear friend.