Thursday, June 29

Publicity bazaar

Are these the actions of someone who wants their privacy at any cost? Someone who wants it so desperately that she will go on national television and beg for it? Someone who just wants everyone to stop picking on her and leave her and her family in peace?
I've heard from several people about Britney Spears' interview with Matt Lauer, and how trashy it was. I didn't watch it. Really, I figured it would be a train wreck, and had thought that I would protect myself by not sitting through it. After all, I know that, when she's not in a video or singing a song, she's going to be a disaster. Don't think for a second that I didn't read everything about it though: messy hair, nasty makeup, crying unattractively, gum chewing and the unflattering outfit. Oh, I read ALL about it.
And now we have the cover of Bazaar's August issue. The photo, actually, is lovely. She looks quite happy and pretty, and the necklace is awesome. (Think how much better the post-interview coverage would have been had she had this person do her face and hair prior to sitting down with Lauer.) Images from the photo shoot, which only took place last week, have already leaked on to the Web, hence Bazaar's action to get the cover out in cyberspace as soon as yesterday. The photos will certainly bring to mind Demi Moore's controversial -- at the time --Vanity Fair cover in 1991. (I never saw Demi's photos, but can only imagine how cool they were. Vanity Fair doesn't do anything non-cool.) It's hard to believe that no pregnant celebrity has done this kind of thing since then. But I digress ...
This is not the kind of thing a person who pleads for privacy does. This girl, as I must call her, is a publicity enigma. She feeds off it, yet feels the need to purge right after. She's got publicity bulimia. "Don't follow me or ask questions, but here, look at me naked."

5 comments:

Pamela said...

This is going to sound really bad.... she looks beautiful on this cover, but I didn't recognize her until I read your post.

Are they sure that is Britney?

PC

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Pamela...If they hadn't told me it was her, I wouldn't have recognized her either! I do believe that another celebrity took a turn at the Demi Moore cover several years later, but I can't remember who it was. I do like the term "publicity bulimia" - I find it very accurate!

Anonymous said...

She has got to be majorly airbrushed--and with the dark hair and lack of utterly trashy clothes she does look great.

Hey, Kimbo--will you be having portraits done anytime soon? Maybe you should see if her photographer is available?! xo

-T. said...

I don't know..Demi on the VF cover (which I should have saved) cool, liberating..a little sexy...Brit on the cover..desperate, trashy..and yes, a cry for attention (your so right on!)

Anonymous said...

I read a really good quote about Britney Spears once... it goes like this: "She strips, and strips, and strips, and reveals nothing."

I see nothing about her current life (which she claims to love very much, despite the fact that her fanbase is slowly losing site of her) that could not have been prevented with Britney learning that she doesn't have the answers. She's just as capable or self destructive as every other college frosh girl I have known, but she's nouveau riche... so she can make a wider range of choices, and hasn't really had the life experience to know good choices from bad ones. She makes the same mistakes most people make at her age, but the scale upon which she makes them is as huge as her own fame... you or I getting involved with someone having a second child with another person might cause a stink in our circle of friends, but beyond that, it's hardly what the world calls scandalous.

Britney fascinate and repulses me in equal amounts.

Hi! My name's Christopher. I met you over at EW.com and I've been reading your blog for the last few weeks, since that article on the new Biffy comics Whedon is doing.