Thursday, February 2

Yet another bad choice

I'd never deny my love and appreciation for the Britney, but I'm beginning to think we need to start classifying her as we do "young Elvis" and "Elvis: the Vegas years." Who didn't fall for the pretty blond when she was rocking out to "...Baby One More Time" and "Oops...I Did It Again"? Even when she started going a bit raunchy with "I'm a Slave 4 U" and, yes, I do dig the song, 'Toxic." I loved that she and Madonna did a slightly disturbing video together. I love that she was all, "I'm a virgin," and wasn't. I love that she was playing the Southern-girl sex-puppet thing with aplomb. (Not a word I use lightly, I'll tell you.)
But then, we suffer through the last few years: The ill-fated marriage in Vegas that lasted 55 hours or so. The rerun Mix CD last year that no one bought because no one knew about it. And finally, and perhaps more damning to her state of mind, the Kevin Federline debacle. This includes, but is not limited to: cheesy music videos; photo ops in trucker hats; smoking like a chimney; um... Chaotic; leaving a pregnant mother in the lurch; "PopoZao" and a rap career; barefoot in a gas station bathroom; and amazing staying power on Go Fug Yourself.
But this latest decision, to guest star on Will and Grace, the show that entices and tosses more guest stars per season than ... well, I can't think of any other show that even comes close. I know that Madonna did it, but her character was stupid. Actually, all the big-ticket celebrity guest star characters are pretty stupid ... and over-the-top ... and, more times than not, entirely outside the realm of the show. Rumor has it that they're teasing Britney's background by casting her as a Christian conservative who will co-host Jack's gay-themed television show/station. Huh.
I'm pretty sure that this whole thing will end badly.

No comments: