Thursday, February 9

She's just not that into it

So I've been trying to figure out my total and complete apathy towards the Grammys. I talked it through with Sarah this morning, and have come to a, perhaps shortsighted, realization: I like the music I like, dig the artists that I dig, and don't allow time, interest or patience for the music and artists that just don't do anything for me. That's not to say that I don't like a specific genre, because there are good artists with music I've liked in every musical genre. Last night, I enjoyed seeing LL Cool J, Sly Stone and Linkin Park as much as I enjoyed Madonna, U2, Paul McCartney and Kelly Clarkson. The difference, I think, is that music, for everyone, is such a personal love-hate choice. We love some acts and songs, dig videos and tend to appreciate brilliance, but also are able to change the radio station every time a song or artist comes on that we don't like. The ability to dislike an artist or song is easy to adopt, since nothing's simpler than pushing a radio button. And because of those artists that do nothing for me, I have little interest in seeing them winning awards, thanking their agents and God, and performing on national television. (Of course, full disclosure demands that I tell you that I did flip between the awards show and every other channel on TV, just so I could see the bands, songs and singers that I like.)
Now, to turn it all grade school on you, I loved that U2 won so many awards, and, during the televised portion, Mariah was empty-handed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you were right, great picture. I love the jacket.