Tuesday, January 17

Golden Globe recap

So it's taken me a while to get to blogging about this, but really, it's because I had actual work and e-mailing to do this morning, and I wanted to be able to devote a good portion of time to this. I also was kinda not sure how I wanted to format it, but I think I've got a general idea. We'll see how it looks...
So, yes, of course I stayed up and watched the Golden Globes last night. Brian was a trooper and hung in with me for the first hour and 15 minutes, but then bailed and left me to my not-so-secret crush on the awards show.
HITS: I'm beyond giddy that George Clooney won. No, I haven't seen Syriana, or Good Night, and Good Luck, but he is a good actor, and it's nice to see him get some recognition. ... Scarlett Johannson looked too beautiful. She's got some old-movie star glamour going on there, and it's a refreshing change from some of the other starlette actresses. ... Steve Carell and his acceptance speech were a highlight in the best way. He was gracious, and funny. Everything we could expect of him. ... Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix winning for Walk the Line. This was a great movie, and they gave good, and touching, performances. And call me sappy, but she even made me tear up a bit during her speech. ... Anthony Hopkins was well deserving of the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and I thought Gwyneth did a good job of introducing him. ... Mary Louise Parker winning despite the Desperate Housewives overdose in her category. I think the four split any of their votes, so really, Parker winning was a no-brainer. ... That one, quick bit of footage of Kiefer Sutherland and his dad, Donald Sutherland, hugging. ... Geena Davis and her blatant fib about the little girl tugging at her dress. Brilliant. ... I was a bit frightened that Jamie Foxx would try to lead everyone in a sing-along again, and was excited to not have to hear it. ... Alanis Morrissette as a blond; Renee Zellweger looking regal; Natalie Portman in vintage Chanel; Jason Lee in all pre-show interviews; Jane Seymour looking beautiful; and Zach Braff and Mandy Moore making an appearance together. ... My show, Lost, won for best television drama, and everything's right in the world. ...
MISSES: No win for Michelle Williams. I hope she is able to break the Dawson bonds with, if not a Globe win, an Oscar win. ... Zach Braff walking home empty handed. He was robbed. ... E!'s pre-show coverage of Nicollette Sheridan not attending, and then her being there. Seriously, I believe most "cast feuds" are perpetuated by no one more than the media ... Miss Golden Globe, Dakota Johnson. Don't get me wrong; she's a pretty girl. But even at 16, would it have killed her to flash a smile while her mom, Melanie Griffith, was introducing her? ... My girl Mariah, and her incessant primping for the camera. I muted the television and averted my eyes when she was on stage. I changed the channel during the E! interview. She bugs. ... I get Cillian Murphy and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers mixed up, and that's all my "miss." Which one fought the zombies in 28 Days? ... The continued segmentation between television in the back, and movies in the front. I'm sure it's a logistics thing, but really.
Mark your calendars: Academy Award nominations will be announced Jan. 31!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golden Goose Egg awards !!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely photo of MY boyfriend George. Keep your mitts off him--he's way too old for you! --Amy

-T. said...

LOL-There is competition for George!! I am desireous of him. Anyway...I was thrilled that Mary Louise Parker finally got a GG - she's had a great body of work...my personal favorite being her West Wing Character..anyway, your wrap up is GREAT!