Saturday, June 9

And now we have too many croissants

You know how there's some basic tenants of living in a society? Stuff that just everyone does because it makes the world go round. Like waiting for people to exit an elevator first; or not taking the next table's french fries or something like that. Today, I came into contact with an example of someone who ignores the rules of basic society: a person who did not place a divider on the check-out belt at a store.
Picture it: Costco. Brian and I had a pile of food and whatnots. We had placed everything on the belt, as one is supposed to, and waited our turn. B was at the end of the check-out counter, and I stood at the payment machine. The checker had gone through all our stuff, and was continuing down the line when Brian and I both noticed that she'd just scanned eggs.
We were all, "We didn't get eggs."
She goes, "Really? These aren't yours?"
"Nope. We didn't get eggs."
"Oh. Okay. What about these croissants?"
"Yep; the croissants are ours."
She seemed super confused about the eggs, though, and between her sliding them back to the order behind us, and me checking out the belt behind our order, we discovered that the guy behind us hadn't placed a divider on the belt.
Wait. What? Who doesn't do that?
He was completely unaware of our confusion, or anything going on, as he was staring at this phone and seemed lost to the real world around him. I said to the checker, "Yes; this is the end of our order," as I pointed at the croissants.
I paid for our order, and Brian and I spent our time walking out to the car discussing the basic rules of being a human, and how they include order dividers at the store. And as we emptied our cart into the trunk, I noticed the best thing ever: We had two packages of croissants.
So our croissants had been rung up at the beginning or middle of our order and were already in the cart while I was entering the payment information. When the checker asked me about the other croissants, I thought, well, of course, those are ours, knowing we had croissants.
So here's the beauty of the thing. The dude who doesn't know how to use an order divider lost his croissants because he didn't use an order divider. And he probably didn't notice because he was on his phone. And he probably didn't realize it until he got home, where hopefully, he got into trouble for not buying croissants.
Moral of the story: Use order dividers. It'll help you get home with your croissants. And you'll look like less of an idiot.

No comments: