Tuesday, August 22

Donuts are the key to any happy existence

I have a happy obsession, and it is Krispy Kreme.
I ate my first Krispy Kreme donut when I was visiting my aunt in Virginia a whole bunch of years ago, and while I really enjoyed it, it wasn't really love at first donut. It wasn't until Kripsy Kreme made its way out to the West Coast that I really developed a love for the yummy confection. And when one is in Burbank, one stops at the Krispy Kreme. And there was a store in Oxnard for a while, but then it closed, and the sun went down. And then they were here and there while I was here and there. The most recently late stores, I remember, were in downtown Phoenix, and then there was one in a building that, if it was still there, would be right down the street. Like, walking and biking distance ... no joke.
As it is now, the closest Krispy Kreme is about 15 minutes and 6.5 miles away. It is perfect, actually, because it's the ideal distance that's too far to go on a whim, but close enough that the whim can be accomplished if the day calls for it.
Because they're Krispy Kreme, and because they're awesome, they have random promotions now and then. Yesterday, for the solar eclipse, Krispy Kreme made donuts with chocolate glaze. None of the regular clear sugar glaze, all chocolate. In fact, they made those donuts all weekend (but they were all out when we stopped by on Sunday). So, Sydney and I made our way to the store yesterday afternoon, and bought a dozen of them.
ASSESSMENT: They're super good. The first one I ate was still warm from the conveyor, so it was perfect. The second one, which I had for dessert a couple hours later, was almost as good, but not as yummy as my regular chocolate iced donut. So what to do with the rest of the dozen? I experimented with freezing them. Who knows, right? If they don't taste as good, I won't feel bad about tossing them. But if they are, then I've got something yummy to defrost and enjoy whenever I want.
RESULT: Sydney and I defrosted a couple donuts this afternoon, and I don't know if I'm super happy or super bummed that they taste exactly as they should. Still delicious. Still not as good as my chocolate iced, but definitely yummy enough to get me through the day!
My Krispy Kreme obsession continues.

No comments: