Friday, December 15

Quite kingly

I'm not one of those that is obsessed with the British royalty. I can see why some people believe it to be an outdated and ridiculous institution to uphold. Personally though, I think it's pretty cool that there are still kings, queens, princes and duchesses in the world, be they British, Danish, Spanish or whatever. (Vanity Fair did an incredible photo spread of the current European royalty last year or the year before, and there are a lot of them.) Of course, none are more well known than the British monarchy, as evidenced by all the hoopla surrounding Prince Charles, Queen Victoria, Prince William, and the late Princess Diana.
A report came out this week about Princess Diana's death again. Saying, again, that the driver of her car, Henri Paul, was drunk. I thought we knew this. I feel bad for her two boys who have to constantly be reminded (not that they can forget) about the tragic death of their mother, and be subjected to all the conspiracy theories and whatnot, regardless of the facts of the incident.
Between the report and the speculation about Prince William's relationship with his girlfriend, Kate Middleton, the Brits have been front and center in a number of magazines this week. But I have to tell you, I hope that I see William become king some day. I think he'll be the kind of king his mom imagined him being, like "the people's king." I find Charles to be a bit too stuck up for this century's monarchy. Witness William's graduation from The Royal Military Academy in Camberley, southern England (pictured). He graduated as an army officer in a traditional military rite of passage for the second in line to the throne. See that? Already breaking with tradition. I dig this picture, actually. He's broken into a smile while his grandmother reviews the new cadets. This also shows a sense of humor. Not very king-ish, but I think that's what will make him a better one.

No comments: