Tuesday, November 1

The tree injustice

This is a squirrel on my balcony. Squirrels used to be able to frolic on my balcony all the time, driving my dog nuts, while skipping about from limb to limb on the beautiful large tree behind my building. There was a limb on this great tree that ran right along my balcony railing, about two feet higher than it actually, which had several little knots. From one such knot, I hung my wind chimes. Its trunk and leaves provided a measure of privacy from buildings across the back alley, and gave some protection from the wind and snow. It was a happy tree. I was happy with the tree.
I came home from work last Thursday, all sick and irritable, only to find that some random group of tree killers decided to roll down my alley and rip out three or four of its trees. As you can assume, one of the trees so unkindly wrenched from its roots was the lovely tree outside my balcony. I was more than annoyed. As Brian said to Mom when she called that evening, "Your daughter is on fire right now."
As well, in my strained and slightly psychotic frame of mind, I called my management company, and left a message laced with hysteria on someone's voice mail. Me all flipping out about how they can do that without notifying anyone; how can I live in this apartment now, without the lovely tree; how am I supposed to rectify this situation; and of course, how I know that they have nothing to do with it, but I wanted to go on record with an official complaint. I'm sure that my message was fodder for amusement within the entire company on Friday, and on some level, I'm a bit embarrassed, but on the whole, I'm still annoyed at the injustice of it all.
Now, squirrels can still frolic on my balcony (this pic was taken yesterday morning through the door and screen), but they have to climb up the ivy along the wall to get to it. It looks so much harder than just scampering up the tree! You know, last year, we even saw a hawk roost in the tree. It changed colors in the fall, and during the spring, it would bloom so beautifully. It was such a lovely tree.
I'm in mourning. I hate the tree killers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, perhaps the squirrels will enjoy the extra cardio workout - whatever happened to your wind chimes? were they returned to you or left lifeless/knotless on the balcony? I am sure that the evil tree killers will get their due, after all it is not nice to screw with Mother Nature!