Thursday, May 17

Talking wrist splints in the Danger Zone

I'm a little concerned about getting used to blogging at work. You know, when I was working in Boston, I posted every blog entry from work. But I had substantially more privacy there. Here, I barely have any walls around my cubicle, and there's no way to keep anyone from just eyeballing my computer screen at any moment. I'm writing in the Danger Zone.
Don't worry though, I'm covering my tracks. I feel like the best thing ever is the ability to clear a history. I don't even know what I want to write about. Just the act of typing something is enough for me right now.
Update on the carpal tunnel issues? Sure, I guess. I've managed to figure out the best way to handle my wrist issues, as of now, and it's not too bad. I posted a pic of my sexy wrist support/splint on Facebook, and got a bunch of ideas from my friends who I didn't know also are suffering from wrist pain. JJ had a good suggestion to mouse around with my non-dominant hand. And that worked for a couple days before I got frustrated with how slow I was at mousing anything with that left hand. Chris suggested a different keyboard, but for me, someone who doesn't type "properly," an ergonomic keyboard would be the death of my speed and production. JJ sent me a pic of wrist stretches too, which I've printed out and do on the hour while I'm at work.
I've also discovered that if I move my mousepad and mouse up farther onto my desk, so my forearm can rest on my desk closer to my elbow, everything is more comfortable. As well, I'm finding that it's better to use my middle and ring fingers on the mouse, as my index finger feels stretched out and like there's a tendon sprain or something.
I'm wearing the splint in the afternoons and at night when I'm at home. Cheryl tells me I should wear it in bed at night, too, but I don't like doing that. I don't want to bonk myself or my dogs in the head with it when sleeping.
But, with the introduction of all those things, I can tell you that I am no longer having pain at work or at home. I feel very awkward wearing this splint thing, but I think it's working as it should be, and the other changes I've made have worked out. So, success!

No comments: