Wednesday, May 9

"Go out, children, get a better job elsewhere!"

My workplace is odd, in that none of us get paid what we deserve and we all stay anyway. I mean, I'm there because the place is mere minutes from my house, keeps my brain somewhat engaged, and gives me some money. I know I could do better, but this particular arrangement is convenient to me right now. But for some of my coworkers, I seriously want to scream and shove them out the door. As an elder statesperson in this business, I know how things work in normal companies. This place is not that.
I know one coworker makes minimum wage. That's $10 an hour. That person should be getting more. I found out another is getting only $12 an hour. I don't think I've ever worked at a company where competent, educated employees received less than $15 an hour (which is what I'm getting as a part-time employee). Of course, these are kids. They're relatively fresh to the game, so I can see where they'd get less than an experienced contributor, but really, less than $15 for anyone at that office is an insult and should be an embarrassment to my boss.
I mean, we don't get yearly raises. I'm making now what I was offered when I started full-time two and a half years ago. We don't have annual reviews, which is PERFECTLY FINE BECAUSE I HATE THOSE DAMN REVIEWS. But with an anniversary typically comes a bump in pay. Not here.
One of my coworkers left a couple months ago for a new job that gave her a huge raise and reduced her responsibility and commute. She's a smart kid with an eye for detail and is efficient as hell. I told her, "Get out of here because you can do better because there is better out there." I want that for all the kids in this office. They deserve the better that is out there. I can't really be screaming that from the cubicle, though, so I'll just say it here.
I deserve it, too. I know that. But like I said, this place serves my purposes for now.

No comments: