Sunday, April 29

Avengers, assemble ... a second time

Let's take a minute to talk about Avengers: Infinity War. It shook me. I knew characters would die; I was not prepared for the flood of emotion when they did. And oh yes, they did.
Thursday night's viewing left me in shock all day Friday. I couldn't say anything to anyone, as so many people hadn't seen the movie yet. Sydney and I grieved together Friday morning, and due to the emotions she was dealing with, she chose to not see the movie again on Saturday morning.
I can't say I blame her. I was a bit of a mess when we walked into the show on Saturday. And I didn't know how I'd deal with having to watch all that over again. But I have to say, the luxury of knowing the shocking thing that was going to happen in any particular scene made for a more calming experience, and also allowed me to focus on other things. I heard more dialogue, saw more expressions, noticed more nuances.
The girl sitting next to me did not have that luxury though, and noting how she dealt with the shocks and awes was just like living them myself again. I wanted to reach out and hold her hand so many times! I just wanted to say, "Oh, honey! It gets SO MUCH WORSE."
I'm glad to have seen it the second time, and I recommend it for a second viewing. There's just so much to take in with the scope and gravity of the situations. And after having invested 10 years and however many movies in these characters and this universe, fans of the franchise owe it to themselves to soak it all in.

No comments: