Wednesday, March 28

Three-leafed clovers in abundance

I've gotten pretty obsessed with gardening and plants over the last few years, and I'm almost considering myself something of a green thumb. I've had wild successes, and I've had failures that have crashed and burned spectacularly.
What I've learned: Berries absolutely will not survive a summer in Arizona. Lavender, surprisingly, does well in the desert. Repotting a rose bush won't always work out as well as you'd like, but at least the plant hasn't died, so there's hope still. I can grow an apple orchard.
My current little project is the shamrock plant over there. It looks terrible right now, but something that I've noticed is that it looks like this every single night. And during the day? Especially when the sunshine is coming in through that window in the afternoon? It is bright, perky, happy and full. This plant loves its sunshine. [Editor's Note: I've updated this post with a pic of the shamrock plant from this afternoon (bottom photo.) It's so happy right now!]
My plan for it this weekend is to repot it into a real plant pot so I don't have to worry about watering it every two days. The additional pot soil will keep it wet longer, and give it some room to spread out its roots. Of course, it'll stay right there on the dining room table for a while. Perhaps for the entire summer. I may or may not make room for it on the plant stand by the other window, but my main priority right now is to keep it comfortable and happy.
It's really a pretty awesome little plant. I'm happy to have taken it from my mother and brought it home.

No comments: