Monday, August 21

Sometimes learning happens most outside of school

Obviously, what I saw today, in Scottsdale, Arizona, was not as dramatic as this. Our eclipse coverage was about 63 percent, which was still super awesome.
I had two pairs of eclipse glasses for my whole office to share, and we had a great time bopping outside regularly during the eclipse, and made friends in the building, as well.
Sydney was able to spend the day with her friend to watch the eclipse, and I'm super excited about that. She was able to check out the whole thing, which would have been stricly forbidden at school. School, in fact, changed the bell schedule so kids wouldn't be outside at all during the time of the eclipse. I have issues with that, of course, because an eclipse is interesting, and kids should learn interesting things at school. But it only takes one kid to stare at the sun to bankrupt a school district, so I guess I kind of understand their thinking. But still, it's a school. For learning.
At any rate, I was a hero at work for bringing glasses, and that's pretty cool. And I got to see the eclipse, which was even way cooler.

No comments: