Thursday, August 25

I'll have my usual, please

I’ve reached peak AJ’s awesomeness. Sydney and I stop at our local AJ’s every weekday morning on our way to school (for the Pokestop) and work (for the iced tea). We’re always there between 7:45 a.m. and 7:55 a.m., and I always order the same thing: a large pineapple iced tea. We get no food items, and no other drink. It costs me $1.50 for my tea, which is larger in volume than a venti tea at Starbucks, and that makes me happy. AJ’s in the morning is not a secret to anyone, and there may or may not be a line of one to nine people on any given day. If I can walk in to no line, I’m a lucky person.
This morning, I wasn’t so lucky, and I pulled number 23, while they were helping 14. Not a good sign. But in practice, the bakery counter at AJ’s is super quick as far as helping people. Nine ahead of me in line wasn’t too distressing. But as I was standing there next to the case, and the attendant was helping number 21, she picked up a second tea that she had just filled and set it down in front of me. “Your pineapple,” she said to me, and smiled as she stepped away to deliver the other tea. I was, quite simply, blown away at how awesome that was.
I picked up my tea and followed her to the register to purchase the tea, and thanked her profusely for taking such good care of me. This is, no question, one of the better things that’s happened to me this week. I would sell it short and say that it’s a silly thing to be excited about, but so few fantastic things have happened lately, that I’m going to celebrate this as a personal win all day.
The tea, of course, is delicious. And I’m savoring it.

No comments: