Wednesday, July 20

I love these random afternoons together

I worked late last night and the night before getting the magazine out, and was rewarded with the afternoon off today. Sydney is in a half-day camp this week, so I was able to pick her up at 1 p.m., and we spent the rest of the day together. It makes us both very happy to do that kind of thing. So, what did we do today?
Arby's: I know it's frowned on by so many people, but I was starving and needed a sandwich for lunch. It hit the spot. I did not order potato cakes or mozzarella sticks.
Glasses: It costs a full $110 less to order the child's lenses and frames than to order just lenses for her current frames. Sydney was having a hard time finding something that she liked, so we priced out just replacing her lenses: $360. As a child younger than 12 though, her lens-and-frame order would be 50 percent off, giving me a price tag of $250. So, we ordered the new glasses in full, and should be able to pick them up in a couple days.
Disney Store: We always wander through, because it's Disney, of course, and today's trip was an awesome one. We found a Tsum Tsum of Chewbacca, and it's gloriously amazing. It's in my car right now, sitting atop my rear-view mirror, because Chewbacca is my copilot. Sydney found a totally adorable Tinkerbell t-shirt, which we had to buy in a large because she's growing up, and she was super happy with that.
Wetzel's Pretzels: Because we can't go to the mall without getting some pretzels. I think I may have finally convinced her that she'll never get Bitz again, since she never, ever finishes them, and they're more expensive than just a pretzel. And to prove my point, she totally didn't finish even the pretzel, and it was less money wasted. But the portion of pretzel she (and I) ate, was tasty.
Albertsons: Sydney and I decided that today and the weekend needed a cake. I had a suggestion for what we should have written on it, and it was enough to give Sydney the giggles all last night and all day today. So we found a chocolate 1/4-sheet cake with some pretty frosting and had them write "Because Girls are Awesome!" on it. And the cake is delicious.
Pineapple: I planted the pineapple top in one of the plant pots outside, and let's hope that it'll survive. Unfortunately, it had started to smell a little as it was drying, and I discovered some wet and potentially moldy bits, so I thought it would be best to go ahead and plant it. It should root within the next six to eight (!) weeks, and maybe in three years, we'll have fruit. Seems like a long time to find out if we'll be successful, but it'll be worth it if we get a home-grown pineapple.
Minecraft: And then she ditched me for FaceTime with her friends and a computer game.

No comments: