Thursday, February 4

Warning: Interneting is hazardous to your job

So I got a warning at work today. Because I spend too much time reading the Internet.
The kicker is that I know I spend too much time on the Internet, because I'm not having enough to do to keep me occupied. I've been stupid bored the last few weeks. I hate reading the Internet every day. And for whatever reason, I've been timid about asking for more stuff to do (though whenever I did, I was kind of brushed off and told that I'd get it soon). But when they give me something to do, I do it. That's the thing. I'm ready for it, and I'm happy to do it. I guess both my immediate supervisors were asked about my production (or lack thereof), and both, I think, had to explain why I have time to spend on the Internet. So I suppose I should be kind of okay that this happened, because now everyone is aware that I'm not being given enough work to do.
I've been saying for weeks (to Brian, and Mom, and Andrea) that I don't have enough to do. Just this past Friday, I came home and pouted on the sofa for a couple hours because my week was such a drag. ... That I haven't been pushy is on me, certainly. That I've chosen to occupy myself on the Internet is bad, too. I'll take the heat for this, obviously. But I suppose that if the result is that I get to dig my hands into more editorial, I can be tough, and get over the nervous butterflies in my stomach, and pretend that it didn't happen, and be more assertive about work and projects coming my way.
I have plenty to keep me busy tomorrow, though the first order of business is deleting my Google News bookmark. I was given stories to edit and other projects to keep me occupied today and tomorrow, and I was quite pleased with the work I did today, prior to the conversation at the end of the work day. But I also was shown how to be helpful in another way this afternoon, and I'll get to do that tomorrow morning.
So. Positives that came out of today: 1.) More work will be coming my way. 2.) It happened on a Thursday, so I'll be able to have a good day tomorrow and not have to stew and be nervous all weekend. 3.) There is more than one narc in the office, and I need to be more careful about what I say to whom. 4.) Operation: Keep Kimberly Busy has officially begun.

No comments: