Sunday, February 28

I banished Seacrest from my TV, and it was great

I did something totally new and different for this year's Oscars telecast, you guys. I did not watch a stitch of red-carpet coverage.
And it was glorious.
You all know that Ryan Seacrest is the bane of my existence. I can't stand him, and I can't stand E! News, and I can't stand the vapid questions and responses involved in the entire experience. Watching all that just makes me mad, and sad, and wish that the entire night would just end quickly and quietly so I can sleep pillowed in Advil dreams. But today, I thought, "You know what? Red carpet bugs me. So I shall just not watch it. I will read a magazine. I will occupy myself elsewhere."
I mentioned this course of action on Facebook, and my good friend, Josh, rightly commented on how that was probably not actually going to happen. And I thought that he would be right, but after making the commitment, and finding other things to do, I was, in fact, not in front of the Oscar telecast until 6:30 p.m. on the button.
And I felt refreshed. I felt happy. I felt like the entire night had just started, and it was starting just for me. I loved seeing the people on the telecast itself, and I am eager to flip through all the photo coverage of the red carpet ... duh, because I'm not an animal. (This photo of Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, though, makes me happy in a hopeless romantic kind of way.) And it will be hurting me physically to not sit at my desk all morning catching up on all the Oscar night gossip and recaps. But I have to say, it was nice to not have been bothered by the part of the show that bothers me the most. I maybe sense another Oscar tradition beginning.

No comments: