Friday, January 15

Last night's ITEM! list, today

ITEM!: Randomly, it makes me very happy to compose my blog posts at work because here I have Microsoft Word on my Apple computer, and I can finally type in my favorite font again: Book Antiqua. And that’s about all I have to say about that.
ITEM!: Last night, I finished the second book that I started reading since I started working. That shouldn’t be an accomplishment, by any stretch of the imagination, but it kind of is, since I’ve had the hardest time sitting down with a book since November. I have a couple other awesome tomes in my room that I need to dive into, and I intend on finishing another this weekend. Anyway, last night’s book made me cry at the end, which rarely happens (I can count on one hand how many times a book made me cry), and also I stayed up until 1 a.m. to finish it. So along with the puffy eyes this morning, I was super tired.
ITEM!: Also, excitement of all excitements, Oliver has begun climbing up and down the stairs again, a full 10 months after he tore his ACL. And he’s getting pretty bold and cocky about it, too. He makes a bit of noise while ascending, for sure, since it’s an effort for him, but he’s determined and motivated, since he seems to think that Sydney always has food upstairs. The downstairs trek is scarier for Brian and I, since all we can imagine is him tumbling, but he made it on his own last night (silently, so I didn’t even know that he’d done it until he was downstairs again). This morning, he wandered upstairs only to want to get on the bed with me. Of course, he is still old and wobbly, so he actually toppled off the bed about 3 a.m., giving B and I heart attacks and fits of parental guilt and anxiety (he’s doing fine this morning, like I said, since he made his way back up around 7). Still, he’s getting stronger, thanks to the increased pain medications for his arthritis, and the daily walks and exercise, so we’re very pleased. He’ll never be able to jump up onto anything again, i.e., sofa or bed, but at least he’s got the strength to move around the house again. And more than anything, that means I need to start being more diligent about emptying the bathroom trash cans again, or he will.
ITEM!: Also, I’m wearing a pink hoody sweater that I haven’t worn since I was living in Boston. It feels weird, but also pretty cool, to be rolling “old school” in a sweater I bought in Maine.

No comments: