Friday, June 26

Rainbows everywhere! It's a beautiful day!

I remember, more than 10 years ago, being so proud of Massachusetts, the state in which I was living at the time, for being the first state to legalize same-sex marriage. I remember blogging about it at some point, and vowing to stay registered to vote in California until same-sex marriage was legal there, too. And I remember wondering if I would even be alive to see the entire country be accepting of same-sex marriage.
It was a beautiful day when California became a tolerant state. It was a beautiful day when Arizona gave up the fight against hate, and accepted same-sex marriage, too.
Today is another beautiful day. In fact, it's a gorgeous day. It's a magnificent day, and I'm happy.
Look at the White House over there. Isn't it wonderful?
Today, the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, giving LGBT people every right under the Constitution to marry whomever they wish. The videos and photos of people celebrating are amazing. They're inspiring. And they make me so proud to be a citizen of this country.
I'm so pleased to have been a supporter of this cause since forever, and I'm so happy for all the people that this particular ruling influences. They deserve every bit of happiness, and finally, they are granted it under the eyes of the federal and state governments.
It's a pretty good bit of knowledge, knowing that I, and my votes here and there, helped sway the mindset of the country. This needed to be done. Sixty percent of the country's polling is in favor of same-sex marriage, and all those people can't be wrong (of course they can be, but in this instance, they're totally not). There's never anything wrong with siding along with love and equality. I'm glad the Supreme Court saw it that way, too.
... What a glorious day.

No comments: