Sunday, May 24

Isn't it a grand thing for the Irish to do?

I'm super, super proud of my Gramps' home country of Ireland, as it just voted to legalize same-sex marriage. It's the first country to do so by popular vote. And this is pretty historic mainly because it was not too long ago that homosexuality was against the law there. And now, all people are able to marry whoever they wish (provided the other person is willing, as well).
Again, I wish that my own country was as equality minded. I like the direction that we're going, and that a majority of people do believe that same-sex marriage should be legalized. But this is taking so long. Of course, it was only a matter of years ago when I wondered if I'd be alive to see any same-sex marriages happen at all. So, I guess, as far as culture shifting goes, this is happening pretty quickly. "Red" states are dropping like flies in this regard, and it's a beautiful thing to see. Still, it would be nice if the shift were happening because the people were united in the cause, instead of us having to rely on the Constitution to put the ignorant and hate-filled in their place.
There will come a time when my entire country allows and celebrates same-sex marriage, and I'm looking forward to it. Until then, I'll bask in my awesome Irishness.

No comments: