Wednesday, September 24

Ginger, the best spice in my life

One day when I was in college, I received a card in the mail from Mom to cheer me up, and give me a dose of love from home. She had sent one of those recordable cards, and the recording truly was something awesome. It was Ginger, barking for me. I think this was about 20 years ago.
I kept that card, though it hasn't worked in several years. But a few weeks ago, when I sorted through my desk drawers separating the gold from the garbage, I found it and was taken with the desire to see the card working again. On the back of it was a sentence that said that the recordings were permanent, even if the batteries died. Of course there were batteries. So I dismantled the card as best I could without destroying it, and finally discovered the battery compartment.
Mom and I replaced the batteries this week, and we've been enamored with the card since. It is so heartwarming, and heartbreaking, to be able to hear her voice, all sassy and barking, whenever we want. (All the boy dogs in my house are intrigued whenever it plays, too.)
Goodness gracious, it's a trip. She was such a love, and was such a huge part of our lives for so long. It's sweet and amazing to hear her again.

No comments: