Monday, July 7

The patient held the flashlight

I think maybe there is no better pairing in the world than that of a person who loves popcorn, and a spouse who is a dentist. Sure, there's something to be said for the couple who can split a salad perfectly, or who can drive and navigate expertly together, and they're fantastic. But when one person loves a thing so much (popcorn), and that thing can also be pretty painful sometimes (popcorn hull gets lodged in the gum line), and the other person has the tools (mirror and sharp thing) and skills (dental school) to alleviate that pain, and does so at midnight when woken from sleep ... well, that's something special.
And we're at such a stage, and have been together for so long, that I don't even get lectured on how awful popcorn is for my gums anymore. And I don't get attitude or static, either, because he's doing this for the one-thousandth time, because I am the person he's married. Love me for the popcorn addiction, I say!
This is, of course, the downside to his enjoyment of me eating popcorn "like a fat girl." But really, a popcorn hull getting stuck in my gums happens so rarely when you factor in how often I actually eat popcorn, that we're doing really well. Still, my gum line is super inflamed, and I really should have told him "before you decided to do dentistry with your fingernail." But it feels so much better now.

No comments: