Tuesday, July 15

A very healthy old fart of a dog

Let's take a few moments to talk about my old man.
We visited a new vet today for an estimate on a teeth cleaning, because the boy definitely needs it done. He had to have the initial examination and office visit for the estimate, so we did that. I was genuinely interested in the doctor's opinion of Oliver's health, since he's 13 years old, and it's a good idea to get a fresh pair of hands and eyes on him.
Diagnosis: He's fine. In fact, he's in great shape. Heart and lungs sound good. Ears are clear. Eyes have some cataract clouding, though it's not yet hampering his vision. His teeth really do need a good cleaning. His temperature is normal. He weighs 23.4 lbs., which she was a little bit concerned about, but I know that 23.4 is a good number; he's fluctuated between 22 and 25 lbs. his whole life.
He does have some mild arthritis in his rear knees. The doc suggested that, while it may be too early for pain medication, he may benefit from some glucosamine every day. I can give him the human kind, if I want, or there is a canine form that is actually a pseudo-treat, too. I'll investigate that because he does take more time going up and down the stairs lately. Of course, I know he's 13, so he'll slow down, but if I can make him more comfortable in his everyday tasks, I'll do it.
But what amazed me most about the appointment was the amount of times the doctor said, "as he gets older." As in, "as he gets older," the cataracts will make it more difficult for him to see. "As he gets older," he won't expel as much energy, so you'll have to watch how much and what he eats. "As he gets older," the arthritis will get worse, and we'll get him on some pain medication. "As he gets older," we should probably see him twice a year.
I'm like, okay wait. "As he gets older"? He's already 13 and a half years old! He'll be 14 in October! I know I'm expecting another three or four (or even five?) more years out of him, but my goodness. In the context of the conversation today, all I could think was, "He already is older!"
But still, it was a positive appointment outcome. While I will stick with our regular vet for his general maintenance, we'll probably go to this place for his teeth cleaning (way less expensive). Of course, the best news is that the boy is in good shape, and should be around for a while longer.

No comments: