Tuesday, June 10

Gracious! I can't wait for football season

I've been watching a lot of sports lately, in genres that I don't usually watch and/or care about.
HOCKEY: I went through a phase in high school where I was totally into the Los Angeles Kings hockey team. I'd stay up late watching games on television, and would have rather intelligent conversations about the game and its players at school. My dabble into the sport has waned quite a bit, if not entirely, since then. In fact, I don't really care about hockey at all, in general. But with the Kings in the finals right now, and the games actually on TV out here, it's been easy to get drawn into the fun and excitement of the sport. So much so, Brian and I are even considering attending a game or two played by our own local hockey team, the Phoenix Coyotes. There are a lot of people on my Facebook timeline that check-in at these games, and they're always looking like great fun. My current affair with hockey may or may not stick (ha! a hockey pun!), but watching the games right now is entertaining.
BASKETBALL: I have never cared much about basketball. Not for a second have I honestly cared about who wins or loses. My singular loyalty is to my own desire to watch the Los Angeles Lakers lose. I can't stand that team, and some of the players (*cough* rapist *cough*), and it's a special treat for me when they're in flames, as they are now. But what I have noticed is that I do enjoy the excitement of watching LeBron James play. I like him also because so many people don't. I've seen nothing but strong work ethic and humanitarianism from him. People hate him because of the Cleveland thing, but really, why hate a guy because he wanted to win a championship? Any athlete wants to win. If the team he or she is on is incapable to helping, then they certainly should be able to move on. But I've liked him for years, and have thoroughly enjoyed cheering for him in the finals the last couple years. And I'm watching all the games this week, and continuing to cheer him.
My kid is all, "Why are we watching this?" And almost every night this week is another exciting finals game. Basketball tonight; hockey tomorrow night and Friday; basketball on Thursday and Sunday. It's like an embarrassment of riches in which I don't really care.

No comments: