Sunday, April 20

Bears, bears, bears

I've decided that, officially, I don't have the emotional strength to watch nature shows/documentaries/movies or the like. We saw DisneyNature's Bears this morning, and while it was incredibly well made, it also stressed me out. The film followed a mother brown bear and her two cubs through the cubs' first year of life, showing the trials and tribulations, and cute, therein.
And while the cubs were definitely cute, the everyday peril that the mother had to protect them from was an hour-long visual heart attack for me. Certain dangers: male bears that would like to eat them; wolves that would like to eat them; rising tides that would like to drown them; and a general lack of food (that would likely starve them).
The mother bear, Sky, was the epitome of a mama bear, and was an exceptional protector. But still, there were several instances in the film where I had to remind myself, "This is a Disney movie, Kimmie. They will not show a bear cub getting eaten, or even imply that it was killed. Everyone has to make it through this. It's a Disney movie." I don't handle the truth of nature well, and this movie continued to prove that to me. So I was relieved when the film was over.
Also, it made me want to hold on to my  own baby with every ounce of strength I have, to protect her from all the dangers in the world. Next year's DisneyNature movie is about monkeys.

No comments: