Friday, April 18

A shift in my tides

About 10 years ago, or about that, I had a radical idea to change my e-mail address. That e-mail address was the first one I ever created (on AOL no less, but soon thereafter I switched it to Yahoo!). I decided against changing it all those years ago for reasons I don't remember right now.
But as of right now, I really wish I'd changed it a decade ago. Because then I wouldn't be stressing over my desire to change the e-mail address now. It would already be done, and all would be well. But now, I'm all kinds of conflicted about this.
The conflict leads me to this question: How much of your identity can be wrapped up in a random, and silly, e-mail address you created for yourself in your early twenties?
And from there, I wonder, do I set up the new e-mail at a different host? Do I roll Gmail? Or the Apple e-mail? Or just stick with Yahoo!? I feel like I have to change the whole smash, just to cut down on any confusion.
But now, with all these considerations, I'm starting to lose my nerve again. Do I really want to go through the hassle of maturing my e-mail address, only to have to change practically everything? Or do I use this as a catalyst to just switch up my entire virtual life because of the viruses and security breaches and all that anyway? Just change the e-mail, all the usernames, and the passwords?
That seems like a lot of work, as well as a lot of ... change. Can I even keep up with that at my age? Am I too old to change all that stuff and keep my mind from exploding?
ARGH!!

No comments: