Wednesday, February 26

This actually is my ceiling fan

What makes a perfectly quiet ceiling fan suddenly start an awful squeaking?
I've been sitting here in bed for an hour with the computer on my lap. I was in the room for the hour before that as well, folding laundry, changing the bed linens, and watching Arrow. The ceiling fan has been on all afternoon, and I've been in and out that whole time.
All afternoon and into tonight, the fan has been silent. It's on the slowest setting, because I hate a wind vortex blowing on me as I sleep, so it's not even working very hard right now.
But as I sit here, enjoying the relative quiet of no television on in the room and the silence of a sleeping neighborhood out my window, the fan suddenly decides to squeak. And not squeak quietly, either. It's all, SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Wait.
But now it's quiet again. It stopped, just as I finished up the last paragraph. So. How to keep it from squeaking again? Does WD-40 work on ceiling fans? Because also, the fan downstairs is having fits when it's spinning. This must be solved before spring and summer, because the importance of ceiling fans is no joke during the hot months.

No comments: