Tuesday, February 11

Save Bob Costas! Save Bob Costas!

IRRITATION #1: Matt Lauer took over for Bob Costas in the Olympic coverage tonight (and probably for a couple more nights, as well). This is only irritating because Costas should be getting better and healing. I can't imagine what kind of mutated strain of pinkeye is running rampant on Costas' eyeballs, but this needs to be remedied. Like, now. Do they not have antibiotic eye drops in Russia? And clean pillowcases? Costas is an American treasure, people. He needs to be treated like it.
IRRITATION #2: The Olympic "halfpipe" was an atrocity. How can you make people compete on substandard equipment in the Olympics? The halfpipe was a problem from the very beginning, with its shape and the weather. Athletes even suggested that the competition be postponed for a day or two to improve the halfpipe. But no. And now, so many snowboarders crashed and burned, and had their Olympic dreams crushed and burned. We now live in a universe where not a single American medaled in halfpipe, and that's because the venue was substandard. For the Olympics. Doesn't that feel very wrong?
IRRITATION #3: People continue to do their best to ruin the Olympic experience for me. I deliberately stay away from all sport news and television channels during the day. I avoid the first 10 minutes of the nightly news because I don't want to hear about what I want to see that night. Twitter had been very good at keeping the information quiet until after the West Coast showing. But then, Seth MacFarlane. MacFarlane thought it would be cool to tweet a suggestion to his followers, saying that since Shaun White placed fourth, they might as well avoid the Olympics and watch his show. Not cool, MacFarlane. I don't like you much right now.
IRRITATION #4: I can taste a cold settling into my body. I felt the snot begin to clog my nose this evening, but then, over the course of just a couple hours, I felt the snottiness morph into the beginnings of a cold that set up camp in the back of my throat. And I can taste it. It's there. I've taken a dose of Airborne, and will hope that it helps combat the icky, but I have low hopes for a complete deflection of the illness. This is the worst: knowing that it's coming, and that I'll feel so much worse tomorrow, but not being able to avoid it.

No comments: