Monday, December 2

Too good to be enjoyed all the time

I think peppermint mochas are among the most awesome things ever invented on this planet Earth. There's really no better taste combination than peppermint and chocolate, in any form, be it coffee, Oreos, or candy. The peppermint mochas at Starbucks are my jam for the holiday season. I love them so much.
Why only for the holiday season? Well, I remember vividly the first time I tried one, all those years ago, in Boston. That day, it was the perfect ending to a perfect day, and made all things right in the world. It was touted as a Seasonal Drink. I drank as many as I could that holiday season, and when the signage went away, so did my desire for one. The next year, my joy was immeasurable when they came back again for the season. Since then, the peppermint mocha has been a delicious indicator to my psyche that the holidays are upon me, and that all is calm, all is bright.
Imagine my annoyance when my aunt, who worked at Starbucks for a time, told me that I could order a peppermint mocha whenever I wanted. It wasn't a drink that was unavailable the rest of the year, it just wasn't drawn all pretty and festive on a sign in the store.
Wait. What? A peppermint mocha ... at my discretion? The whole idea is too foreign. Too easy. Too available.
I decided then and there that the peppermint mocha would continue to be my seasonal drink. It is to be enjoyed at no other time, save the days between Thanksgiving and New Year's. I'm incredibly disciplined about this, which should surprise you all. I never drink them except when they're in season, and I enjoy them very much when I do. It makes them very special to me, in my heart.
Today, I drank my first peppermint mocha of the 2013 season. And it was glorious.

No comments: