Thursday, March 14

Lollipops and "our" rules for everyone

Religion is a tricky thing. More times than not, I don't really care too much about what a religion is doing. My philosophy is: You mind your business, I'll mind mine. Religions though, don't follow that philosophy themselves, and butt into others' business at every turn. That's my problem.
The world would be a better place if religions actually could mind their own business, and not try to force their tenants and (purposeful emphasis here) commandments on everyone else in the world. [ASIDE: Who am I kidding? The world would be better without religions at all. A planet full of free thinkers would be a wonderful thing! Also, let's compare religion-based wars to non-religion-based wars, and then tell me the world is better the way it is. END OF ASIDE.]
This post started off in my head as a small rant about the new guy in charge of the Catholics, Pope Francis I. You have all these Catholics throughout the world who are celebrating and rejoicing the election of this new Pope, who they seem to think will make the Church a better institution. Also, they think there will be change in the Church. But I've got some bad news for those people. This is a 76-year-old Catholic man. He's not going to change his mind about abortion or birth control or homosexuality now, because he's Pope. This guy has been a vocal opponent of the rights of homosexuals for years, and it won't change now.
As bad as I feel for the Catholics who want change and ultimately won't get it, I feel worse for those of us who don't have the same beliefs, but will still be treated as though we're incapable of making our own decisions and choices, because of the Church's influence in government. Of course, this isn't specific to Catholics. It's all religions, and the people who won't rest until the entirety of a population believe the same things they do. Honestly. Hey religions!! Mind your own business and leave the rest of us alone!!

No comments: