Saturday, February 9

One brownie full of gluten, please

Explain to me why, if you don't have to have a gluten-free diet, you would purchase gluten-free food. I can only imagine that it doesn't taste as good as gluten-full food. And now I know, that yes, gluten-full brownies taste better than gluten-free brownies. My husband, culinary adventurer that he is, decided that we should taste some gluten-free brownies, and bought a mix last Friday. I made them that afternoon.
Now, after a full 24 hours and a couple small tastes of these "brownies," I can tell you with certainty that, while they're probably tasty enough for those who must have this kind of diet restriction, for the rest of us, I suggest, don't be curious. Stick to the gluten-full brownies. They are so much better.
I'm a brownie snob, I know. I love me some brownies. But buying deliberately different brownie ingredients just to taste them is an awful idea.
But it has done wonders for my calorie counting this weekend. I rarely walk past a brownie pan without cutting one and digging in. Yesterday and today have not been any kind of test of my willpower. They just don't taste good enough to waste the calories on. I miss real brownies, though.
Actually, I don't have any normal brownie mix in my house right now, but I do have a chocolate muffin mix in the pantry. Yes. I'm all over those tomorrow.

No comments: