Wednesday, February 27

Goats, goats, and more goats

Tomorrow, I attend my first field trip with Sydney's class as a parental chaperone.
We're going to the zoo, and I'm actually getting pretty excited. She told me today that there are a lot of parents going along, and I'm giddy that Marlo is going, too. So, I will drop her at school, since she has to travel with her class in their bus, make a quick stop at Starbucks, and then sit in traffic for a while on my way to the zoo. I'll probably be at the zoo a bit earlier than her class, but that's okay, I'll chill in the sunshine.
So, here's the big question: Am I going to the zoo on her field trip to protect her from my own traumatic childhood memories? I remember -- vividly -- going to the zoo (I think it was in kindergarten) and standing there, helpless in fear or uncertainty, as a goat bit through my lunch bag and then proceeded to eat my lunch as it hit the ground. I'm certain someone fed me something for lunch that day, but the fact that I remember the incident as clearly as I do may -- just may -- have been so psychologically scarring that I refuse to let my own daughter go to the zoo without my chaperoning her.
Still, a day at the zoo will be fun!

No comments: