Monday, January 14

Less candy, less cause for attitude

We enjoy candy in our house. If I had to name the five food groups of my home, they would be: candy, chips, sandwiches, pasta and ice cream. Honestly, I think there are days that happen where we all eat nothing but those things.
This penchant for candy in the home though has made for an "entitled" environment when it comes to my child. She believes that the candy is owed to her, and that she deserves a piece or two of candy just for being in the right place at the right time, or because she's cute.
To give this attitude a wee bit of credibility and perspective, my dogs do get treats for such things. But they are dogs, and their treats aren't sugary. But since she was a baby, Sydney has always rolled with the thought process that, as Oliver goes, so goes she.
But candy is another story all together, and when there is a definite attitude, i.e., eye rolling, arm crossing and eyebrow lifting, a little girl can not really expect to get what she wants. Especially when faced with a superior attitude who does the shopping and is in charge.
So, because of a battle of wills tonight, all the candy in the house is now in the trash. Starbursts, M&Ms, Junior Mints and Kit Kats: all gone. I put the Tootsie Rolls up on a higher shelf, because why should Brian be punished? And I left out his jar of almond M&Ms because she doesn't like them.
Brian and I have discussed quite a bit lately how dependent Sydney is on her sugar rush, so this should be an interesting experiment. I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow and pick up some additional snacks, such as pretzels, tortilla chips and cheeses. We are a less-sugary home for a while now.

No comments: