Monday, December 17

Reassuring, but not

We got a letter from Sydney's school today, that basically told us about the security at the school, and how they evacuate, and how we get notified in case of an emergency, and how often they have lock-down drills, and all that.
They changed the code at the front door of the school.
All this is great, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't be enough to protect any children, should a madman with an assault rifle come calling.
They mentioned how they will not be discussing the recent school shooting with any of the children or in class. If a student asks a question, or makes a statement, the school will notify the parents to have the conversation with the child, but won't allow any in-class dialogs about it.
I'm in favor of this in a thousand ways, but mainly because I don't want her to be afraid of going to school, or worrying about this incident. The last thing she needs is to be as scared as I am.
The letter was, I'm sure, written in an effort to calm the fears of the parents. I think I would speak for most of them (us) when I say that this didn't do that. We already know the school is secure. But so was Sandy Hook Elementary.
Sometimes, this is such an awful world.

No comments: