Wednesday, December 5

Really? Really, Texas?

Arizona is a warm cocoon -- a cozy little place that strives to lessen your worries and make your life simpler. Did you know that? I didn't really know that, until today.
But apparently, as a state, Arizona is among the highest echelon of fuzzy places for, of all things, glass coverage in auto insurance. I discovered this morning that Arizona is one of only a few states in the country that requires full coverage on glass in regards to auto insurance. You get a ding, you call the guys to fill it. You get a bad crack, you call the guys to replace the window, and you don't get charged anything for it. It's all part of your insurance. Because of Arizona.
Now. In Texas, this is not the case. In Texas, if you get a ding, you may be able to get someone to fill it for free. If you get a crack, well, don't forget that your comprehensive coverage starts at $500, but the windshield should be less than that.
Wait. What? I have to pay for my new windshield? It's not covered?
I was, for several minutes, flummoxed by this turn of events. I made the guy explain it to me again. I started to get that twitchy feeling in my stomach when I know that something is going to be a lot more irritating than I thought. And I waited, patiently, for "Jimmy" to call me back with an estimate.
In Arizona, the windshield replacement is free. In California, the replacement would cost me about $100. In Texas, the windshield will cost $255, including taxes and labor. And they can put me on the schedule even this afternoon.
Thank you, but I'll be hanging out with my cracked windshield for a little bit longer. I've been driving with it like that for three months, I can last until after the beginning of next year. Because there is no way I'm going to let Texas take anything away from my holidays.
I prefer auto insurance in Arizona.

No comments: