Friday, November 9

Only good dreams from now on

Do you believe in the magic of a dreamcatcher? I do. My grandmother bought one for me at an arts festival a hundred years ago. For the longest time, I kept it above my bed, and always believed that it did protect me from bad dreams. [ASIDE: Native American dreamcatchers are told to have the power to catch and hold onto bad dreams, keeping your sleep restful and happy. In the morning, the bad dreams that are trapped in the catcher burn up in the sunshine.] When our housing became more ... fluid ... after moving out of the house in Scottsdale, my dreamcatcher was stashed in my underbed storage bin for safety. After well over a year, I had pretty much forgotten about it.
But I'm happy to say that tonight the dreamcatcher has a new home, though it's not over my bed. Sydney had a bad dream last night, in which something tried to eat her head, if I heard it right. She asked me this morning why she had a bad dream, and how come her brain thought of it. And all I could think of, besides answering her question with enough cleverness to foil any additional questions, was my perfect dreamcatcher ... under my bed ... and how it could help and give her peaceful sleep.
It was a real treat to be able to show her my catcher, and explain how it works. And to tell her that her great-grandmother bought it for me, and that now she gets it in her room, was a genuine joy, and I felt very thankful to Grandma for it. We discussed the catcher as she snuggled into bed tonight, and she was very happy to have it. I just hope that it works as well for her as it always did for me.

No comments: