Wednesday, October 17

Chuck E. Cheese fail

Real fear.
Real fear is having to tell your kid something that you know will cause a firestorm.
Real fear is discovering that the Chuck E. Cheese is closed down, and won't be available for the kid's birthday party, like she's been fantasizing about for months.
I hate real fear.
Yes, the local Chuck E. Cheese is closed. And yes, it actually closed a couple weeks earlier than it said it would. I remember specifically that the paper the place circulated said that it would be open into November. I know this because I specifically remember thinking, "Oh, good! It'll still be open for Sydney's birthday!" But NO. I went to book the party the other day, and the Chuck E. around the corner didn't show up on the web site. And the new location down the street and around the other block is still "Coming Soon." No other Chuck E. is within a logical distance for the birthday party. I drove by the place this morning to be sure it was closed.
Skip to this afternoon, and me having to tell my kid that her desired birthday party location is closed.
Tears. And then more tears.
But then, I suggested the alternative: Cupcakes at school the Friday before her birthday; and on her birthday, we'll have a full day at Galveston's Paradise Pier, where she, Brian and I will go on every ride, and she gets to pick lunch (which will, no doubt, be Bubba Gump's). Also, I'll have a birthday cake for her that night (which, so far, is a surprise for her). ... I also did offer that we have her birthday party at Chuck E. when the new one opened, explaining that the party will probably be in November or December. She didn't want that, saying stubbornly, "I want it in Oc-tover."
Good news, she dug the alternative, minus the belated party. So, it looks like Syd's birthday will be a bit less exciting than she, and we, expected, but it'll still be tons of fun.

No comments: