Friday, September 14

Wait. New friends?

Have you realized how hard it is to make friends as you get older? I mean, really, we don't hang out at bars anymore. We don't go to school anymore. There are no situations in which we are forced to make friends. It's hard, especially when you're living in a new town. I've got no job, and Brian's coworkers all live to far away, or aren't really interested in hanging out all the way out here in West Houston.
But last night, at Sydney's classmate's birthday party, I think I made some friends for us. I made the right call by arriving at the party complaining about the traffic on the main street, as it gave one of the dads there a chance to start a conversation about it. He and I chatted a bit, and then his wife sat down, and the three of us happily discussed Houston, things to do, and Mexican food, as well as a plethora of other topics for the duration of the event. The both of them are Houstonians since birth, and sympathized with our rough time here. Also, they're the first people to tell me that "West Houston is definitely where you want to live, not downtown." Also, they offered to take Brian and I out for good times, and gave me some great ideas for fun stuff.
Their daughter's birthday party is in a couple weeks, so I'll be bringing Brian to meet them at the event. They were super nice, but also, we laughed about the same stuff in our conversation last night. Marlo and I were even able to gossip just a little bit. And then, the best part, was that Marlo asked for my number, and texted me so I could have hers. (I feel silly being so excited about this, but you know, NEW FRIENDS.) And I texted her back, and now I'm totally excited for a kid's birthday party.

No comments: